Why not use the long weekend to declutter and have a clear out?
Perhaps not the most exciting prospect for the Bank Holiday weekend but if your life is feeling stressful, because you have too much stuff in your home, it could be very rewarding.
The advantage of using the Easter Bank Holiday to have a good clear out is the 2 extra days available compared to a normal weekend ,so you can use 1 or 2 days for the declutter and still have 2 days to relax and enjoy yourself.
One of the main problems with having a good clear out is where to start and what to do with items you don’t want to store in the house but need to keep.
Here are some tips to help you clear out your home effectively.
- 1. Decide where to start. Pick one area in your home -it could be the kitchen or the garage that is really causing problems. Work on that one area before going into another area.
- 2. Set some goals. Work out what you can physically do in a day to avoid causing unnecessary disruption.
- 3. Enlist some help from the family – it is always more fun working with others and you will achieve more.
- 4. Making a pile of things you no longer want or need is often the easy part. They can be divided into two lots of boxes – ones for the tip, the others for the charity shop. Allow time during the Bank Holiday to visit the tip and charity shops so these bags and boxes are not left cluttering the house.
- 5. The things you are not sure about are more difficult to deal with, they should be either-items you really would like to keep but do not have a purpose for everyday e.g. keepsakes, seasonal items like clothes or Christmas decorations.
Or -items you feel you must keep e.g. documents and records.
If you don’t have space to store these items self-storage units are a great way to keep those items safely tucked away, without creating clutter within your home.
At Spaces and Places our self- storage units are available in various sizes, for short and long term hire with 24/7 access.
If you are interested in self- storage get in touch with Spaces and Places, a secure, convenient and trustworthy storage company.