It’s that time of year again! Once the harshest weather of the winter is over, the days are getting longer and the sun is brightening the sky, many of us start to feel the urge to give our homes a ‘spring clean.’ Traditionally spring cleaning was a way of getting rid of all the soot and dirt that had built up over the winter from open fires but today it tends to refer to sorting out the house, getting rid of unwanted items and giving our home a deep clean.
Listed below are some great tips to help you spring clean your home:-
- 1. Declutter: start by getting rid of unwanted items. There is absolutely no point cleaning things you no longer want or need. Either take them to the tip, to the charity shop or store them to sell at a later date.
- 2. Tidy up: find a home for everything (there should be more room in the cupboards now you have decluttered). It is much easier to clean if you don’t have to keep moving things.
- 3. Pace yourself: Take one room or area at a time to avoid running out of time and energy, leaving you with unfinished jobs. You have greater satisfaction and will feel more motivated to continue if you complete cleaning one room rather than if you have several rooms partially cleaned.
- 4. Start at the top: when cleaning it is always best to start at the top of a room and work down, and similarly clean inside a cupboard before the outside. This will help to avoid things you have just cleaned getting dirty again. Also work round a room in one direction to avoid missing areas out.
- 5. Be prepared: have all your cleaning products together in a caddy to carry around with you as you clean.
- 6. Hand protection: invest in a good pair of rubber gloves to protect your skin and nails from harsh chemicals.
- 7. Freshen up: get the windows open and let fresh air circulate in the room.
- 8. Multitask: when spring cleaning a room, first take down curtains, remove cushion covers and other soft furnishings and get them into the washing machine so they can be washing while you are cleaning.
- 9. Repairs: carry out any repairs that need to be done as you come across them.
- 10. Look after yourself: wear comfy clothes and shoes when cleaning and give yourself a reward for all your hard work!
When you have finished your spring cleaning if you have items of furniture, household goods or clothes you do not want to throw away but need to store, why not think about using a self-storage unit. Get in touch with Spaces and Places for a secure and convenient way of storing these items.