If you are feeling overwhelmed by all the ‘stuff’ in your home it is probably time to have a good sort out and declutter. Process of decluttering is not only beneficial for your wellbeing but it can also be financially beneficial too.
As the May bank holiday approaches that extra day off could be the perfect time to start decluttering and making some extra cash.
The best way to declutter is to take one room at a time and sort things into four piles: to keep, to sell, to donate, and to bin.
If there are items you are not sure about getting rid of, just consider whether you have used it in the last 12 months , if you haven’t you probably won’t use in the future, so get rid of it.
Once you have your piles you then need to work out the best ways to make money from your ‘sell’ pile.
- Go to a car boot sale or nearly new sale with your items. There is usually a fixed price charged for hiring the pitch but if you have a lot of items to sell it is could be a cost effective option and it can be fun too
- Use a second hand shop to sell your items for you. They will take a commission charge but if don’t’ like the idea of selling items yourself or are short on time it could a good solution to get some cash for your unwanted items
- Selling online. Ebay is the most commonly used site but they will take 10% and you need to factor in things like postage. The royal mail can work out expensive so consider couriers like Hermes as an alternative or include the postage in the cost in the purchase price. Gumtree is an alternative on line site which is free and operates on a more local basis. Selling via Facebook is also becoming more popular
- Recycling clothes for cash with stores like H&M
- Selling unwanted items to online sites – Fatbrain will give you cash for your unwanted books, MusicMagpie will buy unwanted CD’s, DVD’s and games and Envirofone will give you cash for your old mobile phones.
If you are left with clutter that you don’t want to sell or throw away, why not keep it in self-storage to free up space in your home.
At Spaces and Places we have storage units of varying sizes and we offer safe, clean and highly affordable flexible storage options, with 24/7 access. For more information, get in touch with one of our team.
Call: 0800 124 4363 or Email: [email protected]