More and more people are using self-storage units to keep items that are seasonal or only used occasionally safe and their homes free of clutter. However using a self-storage unit should be simple and hassle-free.
The following helpful tips should take the stress out of packing your self-storage unit so you can enjoy a clutter free home and know your belongings are safe.
- 1. Make a list of everything you need to store and collect together all the packing materials you require e.g. boxes, packing paper, bubble wrap, tape and marker pens.
- 2. Pack each box according to its contents; wrap fragile items individually in bubble wrap, pack books flat and clothes, bedding or curtains are best protected in vacuum bags. Photos and pictures should be placed between two pieces of card and then taped together to stop them curling.
- 3. Label all the boxes with a list of their contents, to make it easy to find items when you need them.
- 4. Place boxes on pallets to allow air to pass around and under items.
- 5. Larger items can be packed individually but to maximise the space in the unit remove legs from furniture and place tables and chests of drawers top-to-top. To protect and keep these items clean, cover with packing paper or dust sheets.
- 6. Clean and dry appliances like BBQ’s, lawn mowers and garden tools. Before storing wipe metal surfaces with a few drops of oil to prevent rust.
- 7. In the unit, position items you will use frequently at the front of the unit, and make a central aisle between all items for easy access to the rest.
- 1. Make boxes too heavy. No box should weigh more than 30 lbs.
- 2. Use plastic or newspaper to cover items. Plastic will encourage mildew and newsprint can mark and permanently damage items.
- 3. Store toxic or flammable substances like paint, oil or petrol as they are a fire hazard. Also ensure that petrol is drained from all small appliances like lawn mowers.
If you have any questions about using a storage unit, get in touch with your local Spaces and Places, where our friendly team will answer all your enquiries!