Overall, there are 1,505 storage sites in the UK, providing more than 44.6 million square feet of storage space. But what are us Brits storing inside them? And could a storage unit be the answer to your prayers?
Here are 4 of the most common items put into storage and our top tips on how to store them:
- Wrap some form of cushioning around areas to prevent scratching and denting using bubble wrap, newspaper, towels, or blankets
- To prevent breaking, protect glass and mirrors by using mask tape to make an “X” on the surface.
- Corrugated cardboard can be used to protect either side of the glass or mirror.
- Place sofas, chairs, dressers right side up, the way you would have them in your home, to avoid damage.
- Don’t mix up the parts of your electronics, as you may not be able to tell them apart later on!
- In each box, individually wrap separate pieces, like computer monitors, keyboards, modems, cords, etc.
- Stuff empty spaces in your boxes to keep the boxes sturdy, particularly if you will be stacking boxes one on top of each other.
- Wash and clean appliances to prevent buildups, avoid rot, rust, or pests while in storage.
- Keep appliances upright against the wall; leave doors slightly open to allow air to pass through the appliance, avoiding musty smells.
- Make sure all items are completely dried out before placing into storage.
- Cushion and wrap fragile parts such as glass panels if you will remove them.
Files and documents
- Airtight containers will prevent mildew.
- Keep boxes off the floor; consider protective cabinets, or document shelving.
- Put labels on all of your containers.
- Organize your files well, so that you can find things easily when you need them, and create narrow “walkways” to make for easy access to your files.
- Use safes or password protected locks for material that is highly sensitive, confidential, or private.
This is why more and more people are turning to Spaces and Places to store paperwork, furniture and seldom used items in order to declutter their home or work space.
By storing all items in a self-storage unit, you are able to keep the home or workplace as tidy as possible, while keeping all important items in a safe and secure place.
You can access your storage unit 24/7, making Spaces and Places the go to self-storage company when decluttering your life.