If you are renting a storage unit for the first time, read on to learn tips and tricks to get the most out of the storage space you have rented. If you are a current storage user or have rented a storage unit before, these helpful tips will ensure you get maximum use out of your storage space. By following these guidelines, your belongings will be safe, secure and protected.
Tips and Tricks
- 1. Create a list of everything you are placing in the storage unit.
- 2. Calculate the number of boxes you will be needing.
- 3. Purchase boxes, bubble wrap and dust sheets if you are storing furniture.
- 4. If you are storing fridges or freezers, make sure they are fully defrosted to prevent the storage unit collecting water.
- 5. If you are storing an oven, clean it before entering the storage unit.
- 6. If you are storing garden equipment, clean the items to prevent rust and empty the lawn mower tank.
- 7. Once you have packed your boxes, make sure you write on the side exactly what is inside. This will help you when you return to the storage unit for a specific item.
How to Pack Your Storage Space
- 1. Place large items at the back of the storage unit.
- 2. If you are storing mattresses, do not place heavy boxes on top as this will cause the mattress to lose its spring. Instead, store mattresses upright near the back of the unit. Cover the mattress in dust sheets or plastic covers to stop any dust or dirt appearing.
- 3. When storing boxes, place heavier and compact boxes on the bottom, and lighter boxes on top to prevent movement and damages.
- 4. If you are storing valuable/ fragile items, cover them in bubble wrap and place on the top of the pile of boxes.
- 5. If you can dissemble any tables, chairs or shelves, do it! This will allow you to create more space to store other items.
- 6. Lastly, but most importantly, create a mini walkway. When you re-enter your unit, you can find items you need without having to unload the whole unit. Spaces and Places also advice you to store items you will be needing frequently near the front of the unit.