Every business is not paperless and in fact have important documents and files that need to be kept in a safe and secure place. If these documents are taking over your work space, office or home, then it may be time to start thinking about using a storage unit.
Once you have made the decision to keep your workplace neat and tidy and place your documents in self storage; read on for a few tips to keep in mind when storing.
- 1. Make sure each box weighs less than 50lbs. Anything higher than this weight will be hard to move and lift.
2. When packing documents, make sure each box is filled to the top. Use filler material to reach the top of the box and not newspapers as the writing will imprint onto the documents.
3. In order to store documents in a neat and tidy manner, use shelving units. This stops wear and tear on the lower boxes, and also allows you to search for each box more easily.
4. When placing your documents, make sure older documents are at the back of the unit, and documents that you will need to access more often are closer to the front of the unit.
5. Label all boxes. We would advise leaving a spreadsheet near the front of the storage unit that describes where each document is.
6. Do not share keys with many people, use the storage unit like you would save documents on the computer – only certain people are able to access files and the same rules should apply to the storage unit.
At Spaces and Places, we have round the clock CCTV surveillance cameras so relax, your documents are in a secure place.
Spaces and Places also provide cartons and purpose built racks for you to store your paperwork in our safe and dry units. Whether your business is expanding, or documents are taking over your office, call Spaces and Places to learn which sized unit would benefit you best.